I have been wanting to declutter my makeup pretty badly. It looks messy, unorganized, and a lot of the products just go untouched. But, making myself declutter and keep the items out has been so hard!! I decided that posting my journey may make me more able to keep the items out, because if I put them back In I would feel like a liar, so hopefully this works!
I started the process out with 26 mascaras, which is pretty gross to me. I have a really bad problem with hanging on to things “just in case”. In case you were wondering why I am being a bit dramatic about it…I was diagnosed with O.C.D when I was 15, I am now 20. I chronically worry, to the point some days I can not function correctly. I didn’t even realize this was a form of O.C.D until I was diagnosed. I worry about everything, not just it is on my mind, I essentially live with constant bad anxiety. I suffer from multiple panic attacks a week. I am even worried about posting this paragraph, because it is a lot of rambling and it is very unorganized. How does this apply to this post? I hangout to stuff, such as makeup, because I may want it later even if I haven’t in months, It may sound crazy but getting rid of things that I could possibly maybe want down the road makes me so so anxious, the thought of wasting the money on it really really gets to me.BUT, what gets to me more is unorganization. I have decided to choose the lesser of 2 evils, have things how I WANT them now, not how I think I may end up wanting (even though the product has been untouched).
This declutter series maybe long and have a few posts for the same product type, but I figured it is the best way to make myself do this. I would also like to note that I will be selling the unopened/unused products on a few different platforms. I will post those links when they are up!
Now, let’s do this!
I managed to bring my collection down to 15! Here are the products I am passing on (and how I am passing them on, to hold myself to it!)
- Almay One-Coat lengthening mascara- I got this in clearance and have used it once. The reason I actually purchased it was because someone recommended it in a blog post. It is hard for me to get rid of stuff a lot of people love, because “I may end up loving it and what if it is a cult favorite and I need it for reference?!” But, my mom has been wanting to try a new mascara, so she is getting this.
- Maybelline Colossal Volume Express- I used to really like this mascara. I never reach for it anymore and have decided to let someone else experience it. This mascara is unopened, I just took it out of its packaging. This will be sold.
- Rimmel Scandaleyes Show Off- I only got this because I heard it is a dupe for the Benefit They’re Real Mascara and it is one of my favorites. But I have that mascara and this is not a dupe in my opinion anyway. This is also going to the mother.
- Maybelline The Colossal Chaotiques- I have only used this once for a post I did. Didn’t really work how I was hoping, I am not going to allow myself to be hopeful for this product. It is inexpensive and there is no need to worry. To mother it goes.
- Covergirl Flammed Out-I haven’t opened this. I got it because the packaging was cute, but I am not going to use it. I know that. I am selling it!
- Revlon Ultimate All-in-one- This is another one I bought on someones recommendation that I was not happy with. My aunt actually really likes this, so she can have it.
- L’oreal Double Extend- This is the one I wore all through High School, post here. I never reach for it anymore (besides during the post). This was new and was used once. My mom is getting this one also.
- Maybelline The Falsies- I hate this mascara. There were a ton of mixed reviews on it, I kept hoping m opinion would change, but it has not. I guess mother is getting this too.
- Covergirl Clump Crusher- I bought this because EmilyNoel83 loves it. Unfortunately it has done nothing for me anytime I have used it. I am actually just going to toss this one because I have used it a lot.
- L’oreal Miss Manga Black Angel- (not pictured) I decided at the last second that I did not want this, I want to keep it because of the packaging, but made myself get rid of it. I haven’t opened this one so it is being sold.
- Rimmel Scandaleyes Retro Glam-(not pictured) I am also making myself get rid of this. It is unopened, I wanted to keep it because I plan to do “decade” makeup looks. For some reason I was convinced I had to use this. To the sale it goes.
Some of the products I have chosen to keep was because they are getting specific reviews, I really like them, or they are highend. For some reason I can not bring myself to get rid of highend makeup, but I also research the products before I buy the because they are more pricey, which results in me usually loving them.
**I also want to put the disclaimer that last weekend I allowed my best friend to take any drugstore makeup she wanted. I knew I wouldn’t ask for it back and I hate not making people happy, so I actually let her take 2 shoe boxes and a bag of makeup. I haven’t missed any of it, so hopefully I can do this as well!!
What are your MUST HAVE mascaras? How do you organize your makeup? Links to cure storage that you love? Let me know things!